Calgary will no longer be hosting X Games events in 2020
Photo via Tourism CalgaryVia X Games / Youtube


Well, it looks like we’ll be playing the waiting game now. The X Games won’t happen in Calgary in 2020 due to the province’s financial responsibilities. Yeah, we’re pretty bummed too, but it could still happen come 2021!
As part of the 2019 – 2023 United Conservative budget, they dropped the $13.5 million originally promised by Alberta’s previous NDP government.
Justin Brattinga, an Alberta Ministry of Economic Development spokesperson said the funding cut will help to get “Alberta’s fiscal situation back on track.”
Alberta’s trade and tourism budget took a big hit. The budget went from being at $349 million last year to only $286 million this year. Oh man. Even the Calgary Stampede will be seeing cuts!
Recent Posts:
WinSport launches extreme training centre for X Games
Calgary confirmed as X Games host for next 3 years

An incredible celebration of athleticism, the X Games typically feature extreme (and extremely entertaining) skiing and snowboarding competitions.
Calgary secured the rights to host X Games events for the next three years way back in March. Not hosting them could mean we miss out on $75 million dollars in revenue, as well as around 85,000 total spectators over the four-day event. Tough to hear.
City Councilor Ward Sutherland has publically stated that he hopes the government will financially back it again eventually; on Sunday, Tourism Calgary said in a press release that they would continue to work towards hosting the X Games beginning in 2021. Fingers crossed, folks.